We recognize that health and wellbeing is threatened not only by illness but also by workplace stress, insecurities, and general dissatisfaction with self or others.
A 2005 study in the USA indicates that companies lost USD 9 Billion (Rs. 40,317 Crore) in 2005, to unwell employees. They also lost 14% of their annual working days i.e., more than 51 working days in a year due to illness in their work force.( WHO Estimates, Times of India, September 13, 2007 )
Significantly, a report reveals that 2% of a corporation’s capital spent on the workforce is lost due to disability, absenteeism and under par performance. (Working Towards Wellness – an Indian perspective, Price waterhouse coopers)
Corporate leaders need to be made to recognize that wellness programs are investments in the company. And made to realize the importance of investing in a healthy workforce.
Source: “Impact of preventive health care on Indian Industry and Economy” Dr. Alka Chadha , Mr. Ali Mehdi & Dr. Garima Malik,, Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, September 2007
- Preventive & regular health checks have been at the top measures offered by various companies. Following them is the lifestyle related advise.
- In a study 98 per cent of respondent employees who have undergone preventive health check-ups felt that these were beneficial in terms of a better quality of life and performance at work (see Figure 6)
- 10% reduction in loss of working days has also been observed, which directly improves productivity of company in itself.
- There is a positive correlation between preventive health care and profits.
- This suggests that there may be a positive impact of preventive health care on the Indian industry.
- There is a negative correlation between profits and absenteeism and profits and mandays lost.
- The study has estimated that a 2 per cent reduction in chronic disease death rates annually between 2005 and 2015 will result in an accumulated income gain of US $15 billion in India.
- The low-income groups are usually affected by infectious diseases.
- The high-income groups are affected by chronic diseases owing to a sedentary lifestyle.
- Lower health care costs and other hidden costs of unwell employees
- Reduce absenteeism & employee turnover approximately by 30%, thus lowering the cost of hiring and training new personnel. Source : Survey by The Art of Health Promotion 2005
- Maintain and improve productivity & work performance
- Boost the work place morale leading to upbeat and energetic employees
- Enhance company brand value, attracting the best talent in the industry. Promote company loyalty and retention of skilled staff
In an effort to combat growing employee ill-health and its consequences, corporations worldwide have instituted wellness programs with very positive results.
Why Onsite Camps for corporate ?
Onsite Clinics – The Preferred Choice
In a study “Cost Effectiveness Analysis Of A Worksite Clinics”. It is suggested that onsite camp/ clinics are profit for a company and helps employees also.
- The inhouse / onsite clinics / camps operational cost were less than an offsite clinics.
- Net Difference of Onsite and offsite program = $ 224, 485.55
- Saved Time
- Increased productivity
- Save employees approximately $ 37,000 in out-of-pocket costs.
Source: Cost Effectiveness Analysis Of A Worksite Clinics By David H Chenoweth . Phd And Judy Garrett, COHN/ CM, AAOHN Journal. February 2006 Vol. 54, No 2
Some notable examples include:
- Reduced absenteeism rate by 15% within two years, and also cut the hospital costs by 34% after just three years.
- The financial benefits J&J enjoyed were to the tune of $8.5 million in the form of annual savings in medical care costs of employees.
- Saved $225 per employee annually due to the decrease in the number of hospital admissions, cases of mental health problems and outpatient services. Also benefited due to increased employee productivity, lower benefit plan costs and reduced absenteeism.
Marks and Spencer health clinic partnership established a clinic in Indonesia to improve workers and community health, since this initiative there has been reduced absenteeism and labor turnover ,and increased production, and improved health among the workers.
Source: “eBest practices by private sector in disease prevention aand management – south west asia region ; confederation of Indian Industry, march 2010.”
‘personal vitality health passport’ provided information on exercise , low calorie food and overall fitness of employees. This initiative led to considerable reduction in high blood pressure and cholesterol cases (71% and 46% respectively)
Source: “eBest practices by private sector in disease prevention aand management – south west asia region ; confederation of Indian Industry , march 2010.”
Pepsi Co. demonstrated a return of $9 per dollar spent on employee wellness, by way of $3.48 in reduced health care costs, and $5.82in lower absenteeism costs.
(Source: Study conducted by Pepsi Co)
- Corporate Pre Employment Assessments
- Corporate Annual Medical Checks
- Special Non fasting Packages for corporate
- overseas packages
- Disease specific Camps
- Special customized packages for corporate
- Regular, Periodic Screenings
- lifestyle Counselling
- Immunizations/ vaccinations / safety screen
- Drug Of Abuse Assessments
- Consultations & Counselling
- Statistical health report of employees for the key clients with recommendations and suggestion for improvement of health of employees.
- Health Awareness Lectures & Workshops
- Wellness Full Day Consultations ( MBBS)
- Specialize in onsite camps for corporate